Our Services

Our Services

Our Services

Rise currently offers legal services in family law and immigration applications for permanent residence on humanitarian and compassionate (H&C) grounds. We hope to expand these services in the future, so please check our site regularly.

Most of our services are delivered by upper-year law students from University of British Columbia’s Peter A. Allard School of Law, under the close supervision of our staff lawyers. Our students are available to take files during the fall, winter and summer academic terms. There are, however, transition periods between terms when students are not present, and therefore cannot work on client files.

Our student services are supplemented by volunteer lawyers who assist with providing summary advice and wills drafting.

All services are available by appointment only.

How We Can Help:

Summary Advice

Summary advice means that a student or a volunteer lawyer can provide general and basic information about your legal rights, duties and options. However, students and lawyers cannot provide you with an in-depth assessment of your case during a summary appointment and may not be able to provide an opinion about your case’s outcome.

Court Representation

In some circumstances, our students can represent you in Provincial Court.

Unbundled Legal Services

“Unbundling” legal services means that lawyers take only certain parts of a client’s legal matter. Our students can assist with discrete legal tasks such as drafting court documents or separation agreements, conducting legal research, and providing written legal opinions or mediation briefs. We can provide unbundled services for matters relevant to both Provincial and Supreme Court, we do not generally attend Supreme Court.

Preparing for Court

A Rise student may be able to help you prepare for your court appearance so that you will have a better understanding of what to expect in court.


If Rise is unable to assist with your specific legal matter, we may be able to refer you to other appropriate services and organizations. Rise may also be able to help you apply for legal aid coverage if you are eligible.

How to Access Our Services


To request an appointment, please click here to complete our online request form. It only takes 5 minutes, and it’s very easy. We just need some basic information before we can proceed.

If you need help with the online form, or are unable to complete it for any reason, please email or call and we will be pleased to send you a printable (PDF) copy. You are also welcome to come to our office during business hours to complete an appointment request form, but please note that we cannot accommodate drop-in appointments.

Once we receive an appointment request form, our case manager will call you to get more details and determine if Rise is able to help, or if another organization is a better solution for you. If Rise can help you, we add you to the intake list, and make an appointment for you within a few days to a couple of weeks. 

Please visit our Frequently Asked Questions page for more information about our legal services.



Please email [email protected] or call us at 604-451-7447

Request an Appointment

Fill out the Appointment Form and we will contact you to schedule an appointment.

Transition Periods

Because Rise is a teaching clinic, our student clinicians adhere to UBC’s academic calendar. Each group of students attends Rise for one semester, where they receive intensive training in family law, see clients and work on client files, then close or transfer files at the end of their term. As such, there are transition periods between terms when our previous group of students have already left, and our incoming group of students are undergoing training. Transition periods last between five and six weeks and no appointments are available at these times. Transition periods generally occur over April/May, August/September, and November/December each year.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This